BERRIES are the most diverse of all fruit categories. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries have hundreds of varieties. However many of these varieties have not done well on our farm. After trialling a wide diversity of berries for 25 years, we list below are the most successful ones for us.
NATIVE or WILD plant species are ones that have flourished in the wild without human inputs and were used by indigenous peoples and early pioneers for food, medicine, etc. Many of today's fruit varieties were selected from wild plants that grew from seeds spread by birds, animals, etc. The famous RED DELICIOUS apple was a “wild” seedling that a farmer cut down several times to rid this “invasive” species from interfering with his cultivated crop...he finally let the plant alone and tasted this wild fruit only to discover a sweet apple that soon became the worlds number one apple variety for decades to follow...today its wild genetics are found in many of today’s most popular varieties like Gala, Honeycrisp, etc ...all now created by human breeding projects. Varieties like our Precocious apricot and Arctic plum are selections from the “wild” and we will continue to introduce these old native/wild genetics that might hold the key to a secure future food supply for Canada.
Nutritional Value of Various Fruits
Like many of the teachings that come from indigenous culture, the 10 virtues below are intended as a roadmap for living a more balanced and connected life. The beauty of these ancient pillars of existence is that they always remain relevant, regardless of how evolved or learned we think we've become...even during modern pandemics, How much wisdom have you gained from COVID restrictions and self reflection?
10 Ancestral Teachings
1) The Earth is our mother, care for her.
2) Honor your ancestors through your actions.
3) Open your heart and soul to the Great Spirit.
4) All life is sacred; treat all beings with respect.
5) Take from the Earth what is needed and nothing more.
6) Put the good of all before your own interests.
7) Give constant thanks for each new day.
8) Speak the truth; but only of the good in others.
9) Follow the rhythms of nature; rise and retire with the sun.
10) Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks.
- Page 1 of 3